When looking to avoid more invasive dental treatments, prevention is the name of the game. If you want to avoid dental procedures like root canal therapy, there are a few tips you can follow to improve your chances of avoiding a root canal procedure:
- Develop good oral hygiene habits. Brush and floss at least twice a day to rid your teeth and mouth of food particles and bacteria that can cause the tooth decay that leads to infection.
- For yourself and children over the age of two, keep your tooth enamel strong by using a toothpaste that contains fluoride.
- Eat healthy to ensure your teeth and body receive the proper nutrients to maintain good health. Eating crunchy vegetables and hard fruits will also aide in keeping the surface of your teeth clean.
- Refrain from smoking, which can cause a host of health problems that weaken your immune system and make you more susceptible to the bacteria and disease that could harm your teeth and gums.
- Drink plenty of water to keep your body hydrated and to help clear your mouth of harmful acids, sugar and bacteria.
All of these recommendations will help to achieve the goal of preventing the cavities that lead to damage of the tooth’s pulp and root, and can require root canal treatment. Regular examinations by your dentist will also help to identify and treat potential cavities while they are small and have not yet reached the inner core of the tooth. Consult with Morehead City dentist Dr. Winchester about these and the other steps you can take to reduce your risk of a root canal procedure.
Our dental office is located in Morehead City