To improve the success of your dental implant surgery, there are a few guidelines you can follow during your recovery process. Diet is one of the most important factors to consider to ensure your implants heal properly.
Initially, you should not eat or drink hot foods for 24 hours after surgery as the heat could open the wound and cause an increase in bleeding. Avoid foods that may cause trauma to the gums or disrupt the implant, including the following:
- Hard foods such as candies, pretzels, nuts, and crunchy vegetables
- Chewy foods that require more than a couple of rounds of chewing such as rolls, gummies, hard fruit, and gum
- Foods that could stick in teeth or leave particles behind such as popcorn, seeds, and chips
- Foods or drinks that contain citric acid, such as oranges or grapefruit
A soft diet is recommended for approximately two weeks after implant surgery to allow the gum tissue to heal. It is especially important to stay hydrated by drinking plenty of fluids, although you should strictly avoid the use of a straw for at least 48 hours post-surgery. Suggestions of ideal food and drinks after implant surgery would be:
- Cooked cereals such as cream of wheat or oatmeal
- Scrambled eggs
- Cottage cheese
- Broth, bouillon, or soups
- Ground beef, baked or broiled fish, or baked or stewed chicken
- Macaroni and cheese
- Baked or mashed potatoes
- Soft bread
- Puddings, milkshakes or ice cream
- Water, milk, coffee or tea
Patients who maintain a healthy diet of soft foods feel better and heal faster after dental implant surgery. Following these guidelines will help to ensure the quickest and most successful recovery from your implant surgery.
Contact our Morehead City dental office today to learn more about dental implants options.