Tooth decay that is allowed to become severe can cause extensive damage to your tooth, even resulting in tooth loss if not treated. Sometimes symptoms are present that cause you to visit your dentist, but other times it’s just a regular checkup that catches a problem.
The source of trouble usually begins with a small area of tooth decay that goes unnoticed. Bacteria attacks, decay thrives, a cavity may form, and infection can spread. Cavities may be filled to repair the tooth and eradicate infection, but advanced cases of decay can reach the tooth’s interior. Once it gets to the pulp, serious damage can set in. This is when symptoms often appear, sometimes becoming severe.
Once damage reaches your tooth’s pulp, some common symptoms that will prompt you to call your dentist may include:
- Slight to severe pain when biting, chewing, or even putting slight pressure on the tooth
- Minor to extreme sensitivity when your tooth comes into contact with anything hot or cold
- Inflammation or swelling near the gum line surrounding the affected tooth
- Ongoing aches in the general area of the damaged tooth, including headaches, neck aches, or earaches
- Ulcers or bumps near the damaged tooth
- Difficulty performing normal mouth functions like eating
If you experience any of these symptoms, it’s time to visit your dentist for an evaluation. Root canal therapy might be recommended to restore your tooth’s health and regain comfort and functionality. Root canal treatment involves cleaning the damaged areas of the tooth pulp to remove infection and bacteria, filling the open space, and sealing it to prevent future damage. Sometimes a crown is placed on top to complete the process.
When a tooth is severely damaged, root canal therapy provides your best chance for restoration and optimum oral health. Your Morehead City,NC dentist will effectively and safely perform the procedure, and at the same time relieve the related symptoms that you may be experiencing.